Wedding decor-check. Bridal outfit-check. Honeymoon destination- Check. Have seen the procedure to get the marriage registered? Ummm, still thinking.
Between all the planning and last moment wedding planning, you might forget to update yourself about the procedure to get your marriage registered and name changed. And since I am such a dutiful bridesmaid, I have jotted down the guidelines for you
What Is The Process Of Hindu Marriage Registration?
To apply, visit this link ( https://edistrict.delhigovt.nic.in/ ). Fill up the form with required details and choose the date of appointment. During the visit to registrar office, please carry all the documents attached while filing it online.
What Can I Do If I Don't Want To Opt For Online Registration?
1) Apply to the sub-registrar in whose jurisdiction the marriage/wedding actually took place or where either spouse has lived for at least 6 months prior. These documents need to be attested by gazetted officer.
2)Fill up the application form at Registrar’s office and the documents needed are:
*Evidence of date of birth
*Passport-sized photographs of you and your spouse
*An Affidavit by both you and your partner stating date and place of marriage, date of birth, at the time of marriage and nationalities.
*Evidence of the wedding – Wedding invitation card or any wedding album picture
*Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the banned degree of relationship.
3) Once the documents are submitted and verified thoroughly, the designated officer will give you a date for registration. Ideally, it is 15-20 days after you submit your documents.
4) Between the dates given, the couple needs to be present with the witnesses. They will want a proof that the witness has attended the wedding or not. So please carry your wedding picture with the witness.
My Marriage Was Not According To Hindu Traditions. What Should I do?
Under the Special Marriage Act, both parties have to give a 30-day notice to the sub-registrar in whose authority at least one of you has resided for the past 6 months.
- Need all the above mentioned necessary documents to fill up the form in registrar office.
- You need to get the witness with a valid ID proof and residence proof.
- The notice will be issued. The marriage may be legally sanctified after one month from the date of publication of the notice if no objections are received.
Another thing that is an important part of this marathon is name changing. I know it would be tough before you get used to hearing your new last name. Wish it was as easy as changing the name on Facebook!
The Process Of Changing Names Post Wedding
1) Once you get your marriage certificate, you need to apply for a name change at the office of the State Government Gazette. They would include your name change and make it official through declarations through local newspapers. A copy of this could serve as a legal document for a name change.
2) Then with the legal document, you need to make the necessary changes in your other documents which include PAN Card, Driving License, Bank Documents, Insurance etc.
Note: PM has recently announced there is no need to change the name in passport after marriage.